Saturday, June 25, 2005

Retail and religion: Friars hold Mass, hear confession at the mall

 Posted by Hello


COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) -- Amanda Zkiab visits The Citadel Mall four or five times a week, but the 25-year-old isn't there to scour the sale racks, stuff herself with food-court goodies or cruise for a date.

Zkiab bypasses the shops and goes straight to the Catholic Center, which offers Mass, confession and spiritual guidance in a place where people normally worship couture and pray they haven't reached their credit limit. Even the rosaries are free.

"It's so convenient, there's no excuse," Zkiab said one afternoon after Mass. "When I'm done, it's like, 'Oh, I can shop."'
... (Please click on the link above for the full article.)

I'm not too sure about this one. I like the idea of someone being available at a "church" during the week, as most churches in the U.S. are locked during the week and some even go so far as to gate their parking lots. I would also like the idea of a daily service (I am not Catholic). What I don't like about this idea is that it smacks of a "drive through" church. Also, have we gotten so far away from God that He has to plumb the depths of hell to find us? I am afraid that as a society we have done just that.

No comments: