Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hope Springs Eternal


Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. Romans 5: 1-5

As I witness my father’s sluggish passing from the harsh Winter of his sufferings into the newness of Spring’s hope of glory, I find myself longing for the dawn that lies on the other side of this dark night’s watch. For many months now, my father has been in the dark and cold winter season of life. Winter is now drawing to a close for him, but this last leg of his journey is one that, to outside viewers, seems to be solitary and lonely. As Christians and fellow sojourners in this life, we know this is not so. Even as my father gives the impression of no longer being lucid and stares blankly at nothing, I believe he is simply beginning his passage into the Spring of eternity with Christ. This is not a crossing that he makes alone. If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! Psalm 139:8……He has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

What a glorious Spring awaits my father on the other side, to be free from the bondage of sin and its effects on our frail human bodies, to truly know and be in the presence of the glory of the Lord, to have his hope realized. How truly beautiful our Lord must be! And what joy will be his as he will finally be able to worship in spirit and in truth! This is what we long for, to finally be able to fulfill our chief end: to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. For the common man, Winter is end of his journey, but for those who love the Lord hope springs eternal.

2 comments:

DonnaB said...

May God strengthen you and sustain you in the tough days ahead.

Anonymous said...

May He comfort you and your family, but yet be your Rock and Strong Tower.