Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Sourdough Bread #TryItTuesday

This easy recipe is from my mother-in-law.  It is a very versatile recipe as you can use it for loaves, rolls, cinnamon bread and it can handle many add-ins.  I like it because I can control the balance of whole wheat four for a happy digestive track.  I like to add in wheat germ to most of my bread recipes for extra fiber.  Feel free to follow the recipe exactly or get creative. I posted pictures for novices: most of my recipes won't have so many pics.  Enjoy!

Starter:

1 cup of warm water
1/2 cup sugar
1 package yeast
3 Tablespoons of instant potato flakes

Mix starter ingredients and let ferment on the counter for two days.  If you have a cool/cold house, wrap the sides of the container in a towel or tea cozy.





  *my house is typical 65' degrees at night, so I must wrap mine




Feeder:

1 cup warm water
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons of potato flakes

Combine ingredients and add to the starter.  Let stand on the counter for eight hours,  Refrigerate for three to five days.


 *I label my jar with dates, so in all my busyness, I don't forget



Bread:

6 cups of bread flour
1 Tablespoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cup of warm water
1 cup of starter


Combine dry ingredients and mix well.  In a separate bowl combine 1 cup of starter, water and oil.  Add to dry ingredients and mix well.  Knead (either by hand on floured surface or with dough hooks) until dough is springy or about five to ten minutes.  Place dough in a oiled bowl, brush top of dough with a little oil, and cover with a wet dish towel and let rise in a warm place for 12 hours.








 
 
 




  *I distribute the oil with a paper towel or pastry brush
 
 



 


 


 







Punch dough down and knead out any air bubbles.  Spray or oil two to three loaf pans (depending on how tall you like your loaf) and divide dough evenly between the pans.  Brush tops of bread with a little oil.   Cover loosely and let rise six to eight hours in a warm place. 

Bake at 350' for 25 to 30 minutes or golden brown on top.










 
 

The knife pictured above can be purchased here:  http://thebowknife.com/products
 



*After using starter for bread, only save 1 cup of starter in the refrigerator, discarding excess.  Starter can be fed in another 3-5 days.


No comments: