Friday, May 13, 2011

God's Still on His Throne





As I was driving tonight I saw a sign in front of a church that made me both sad and angry.  It read, "God was not in the tornado."  While I'm sure that congregation's intention was to comfort people hurt by the storms, I find no solace in that statement.  What I have to say may ruffle many feathers and make some people angry, but here goes....

If there is one single molecule or atom out there that is outside of God's control then God ceases to be God.  Think it through for a moment.  If God is not completely sovereign and able to control storms or the "bad" things that happen in our lives, then those things are more powerful than God.  I can take no comfort in the thought that there is any thing that is outside of His reach and authority.

God allows us to pass through storms.  God allows us to go through heart wrenching times.  God allows us to go through pain, loss, and death.  But He meets us there.  He sees us through to the other side.  He has plans for us.  He uses those inexplicably hard times for our good (molding us into His image) and His glory.  Dwell on the following passages:

Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.   ... In the Christian life there WILL be very trying times.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.   ...God is perfectly good and perfectly sovereign; He does have a plan for you.

Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.  ...God uses ALL things (even the seemingly horrific ones) for our good and His glory.

My God is in the storms.  Not a hair can fall from my head apart from His will. (Mtt. 10)   Nothing can touch me without passing through His hands first.  This is my comfort.  This is what I cling to. 

Job 1:21 The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments: