Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Always Listen to Your Husband

I wish I had a scanner so that you could see for yourself the instructions my doctor wrote for me today. His number one, and he said most important, instruction for me was to always listen to my husband! Yes, you read that right, and he is a medical doctor. Let me explain.

I've been having quite a bit of foot trouble, so much so that I could not longer walk for exercise. I had an inkling as to the root cause: I am extremely flat-footed and very pigeon-toed. I had to wear corrective shoes (painful) until I was fourteen, at which point, I threw them off and walked barefoot whenever possible up until this point.

I didn't go to the doctor because I was afraid he would refer me to a podiatrist and yada, yada, yada: it would cost more money than I care to think about. I went only because my loving husband made me -- and my doctor knew it. Well, my doctor didn't refer me out, and, yes, my heel hurts so much because I'm flat-footed and because of over-use. He gave me lots of helpful instructions, etc., but the worst news that he gave me is that I should never go barefooted and that I must wear proper shoes - AT ALL TIMES. Yikes! That like being sentenced to looking nerdy the rest of my life.

You see, I have always been categorically opposed to wearing tennis shoes with skirts and dresses simply because it's more comfortable. I always felt like it was a bad testimony to look nerdy, and now I have my doctor (whose last name is Lord, ironically) ordering me to wear shoes with good support. This definitely calls for some internet research. Someone please tell me there are decent looking shoes out there for me!!! :)

1 comment:

DonnaB said...

I guess you better listen to them! I know that we have a store in our metro area called Comfort Plus Shoes which have all styles of corrective shoes. A little pricy but nice looking...not nerdy. You might Google Comfort Plus Shoes to see if there is one in your area. Hope this helps.