Friday, June 16, 2006

Bird Flu Update

This week I attended our city's bird flu planning meeting. Most the information given at this meeting was not new to me. What was most encouraging to me was the city's plan to shut down non-mandatory public gatherings if such a pandemic hits. In the 1918-1919 influenza pandemic, communities that enforced quarantines fared much better than those that did not. What was discouraging to me was the realization that I am not "over" prepared for such an event. Most influenza viruses come in two waves, each one lasting six to eight weeks, so I need to have more supplies on hand. Later, I will post some of my notes from the meeting.

1 comment:

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I don't have any spiffy comment here - I just wanted to say that I've been keeping up with your Bird Flu-related posts and am interested in reading the notes from the meeting.