Tuesday, May 30, 2006

In light the supposed, impending bird flu pandemic, I have been reading The Great Influenza. One reason that I chose to read on this particular subject is that I believe American society is not prepared for such another sweeping tragedy as the 1918 Flu pandemic. While it remains to be seen as to whether the present bird flu will mutate into the monster that experts claim it will or will become only a mildly irritating bug similar to that of the Y2K computer scare, I am convinced that the ease and comfort in which we currently reside cannot last long. This present generation in America knows nothing of true suffering or poverty; we are spoiled children. With this in mind, my next book to read will be the The Grapes of Wrath. Light reading, eh? Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

ttI'll put this on my reading list.

DonnaB said...

I've never researched this just seen references to it in movies like Sarah, Plain and Tall: Winter's End. I agree with you, many of us are not up to the challenge of suffering and doing without.