Saturday, October 01, 2005

Am I Ready For Worship?

Posted by Picasa


Hebrews 10:19-22

19 Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

Saturdays should be typically spent in preparation for the Sabbath, but I wonder if we really prepare rightly - or even at all. It has been said that we only prepare for what is truly important, so I often wonder how much we truly value our Sundays. Sure, most of us show up for church on Sunday with the assumption that we are ready for worship, but somehow I doubt that most of us are truly prepared.

I chose to post the above passage because it covers both the inward and outward aspects of readying ourselves to approach God aright. I have always been taught that it was important to put on our best clothes on Sunday, always having our shoes polished and our hair neatly arranged out of respect and reverence for a holy God, but what about our hearts?

Heart preparation is so much harder. Yes, most of us would agree that having a quiet time before church is a good idea, but there is so much more to it than that. Do I have one holy passion when I enter God's presence? Am I resting in His sovereignty, or is my mind wandering to the many duties of the week that lie before me, or am I noticing what someone else is wearing (or not wearing, as the case may be)? Am I harboring some small sin in my heart, unwilling to give it up just yet? Or have I strayed so far that attending church is just another thing to check off of my list of duties and I do not even think of preparation?

Perhaps our lives seem so frazzled that we believe we do not have time to prepare for worship and that God should just be happy that we made it to Sunday morning services. If we are honest with ourselves and with God, there is time, and God's plan of the Sabbath rhythm for our lives is restful and joyful. Yes, it does require sacrifice - the sacrifice of sin in our lives. Am I so far gone that I do not want to present myself holy and blameless before God? God forbid! I know in my heart that I have much to answer for before God where my heart is concerned; how about you?

1 comment:

DonnaB said...

Thank you for this post. It was a beautiful reminder on the importance of preparing our hearts for worship. Well done!