Friday, April 08, 2005

Too Much Stuff

Posted by Hello
I'm currently developing a new philosophy. While going into my daughter's closet to hang up one of her blouses that I had just ironed, I found a pair of jeans on the floor. This is not the first time I have seen this (understatement of the year), but this is the first time that it dawned on me that perhaps it's because she has too much, and she's not able to take care of it all. I then informed her of my idea, and let her know that I would be happy to alleviate her of her burdens by giving away what she was unable to care for (books, clothes, CD's, etc. lying around). The jeans were quickly hung up. While it sounds as though this was a "tongue in cheek" conversation, I was and am quite serious. Perhaps we are so overburdened with duties because we have too much stuff and try to do too much. My husband used to have a sign in his study that said, "Do less. Do it better." I believe there is a lot of truth in that. So, I will be examining my life and weeding out what I am unable to do or take care of. No, Mom, I'm not getting rid of our two dogs who delight in muddying up the carpet. :)

1 comment:

CallaLilly said...

Thank you! I'm glad it twas helpful. I am beginning to see that this is going to be a life-long process because materialism is so predominant in our society. I just ordered a book (there goes my materialism again!) entitled "How Much is Enough." I hope it will help me in my quest.
Blessings!